Bacon and Brussels Sprouts Penne
Swap ingredients and add seasonal vegetables to give classic dishes a makeover. Simple changes such as using sweet potatoes instead of regular spuds add more nutrients to your meals. Pastas like Barilla Protein PLUS add an array of benefits including 14 grams of high quality protein from chickpeas, lentils and egg whites.
This recipe contains pasta (penne), brussel sprouts, bacon, fresh garlic, shallots, olive oil, chicken stock (low sodium), pecans, cheese (parmesan)
Prep time: < 5 min
Cook time: 25 min
- 1 box Penne
- 2 lb. Brussels sprouts
- 8 lb. slices raw bacon (approx half pound)
- 4 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup(s) shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup(s) chicken broth, low-sodium preferred
- 1/4 cup(s) pecans, roasted and chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2. Cook pasta according to the package instructions. (while doing so follow below instructions)
- 3. In a pot of boiling water, blanch Brussels sprouts for 5 minutes; place drained Brussels sprouts on baking pan in fridge to cool.
- 4. In an oven-safe skillet, cook bacon until crisp, remove and crumble; pour off all but 1 tablespoon of bacon fat. Add garlic and shallots to skillet and sauté until soft.
- 5. Once cooled, cut sprouts in half.
- 6. To same skillet add olive oil and Brussels sprouts; bake in a 350°F oven for 10 minutes until caramelized.
- 7. Remove from oven and add chicken stock; over medium heat, stir well and heat through.
- 8. Add pasta, bacon and pecans, mixing well.
- 9. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese before serving.