Barley and vegetable soup
Tasty, thick and nourishing.
This recipe contains barley, water, pancetta, prosciutto, vegetable stock, olive oil, carrots, celery, leeks, bay leaves, rosemary, black pepper, cheese (parmesan)
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 1 cup(s) pearl barley
- 3 cup(s) water
- 50 g. pancetta, thinly sliced
- 50 g. prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 l. vegetable stock from 1 vegetable cube
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cup(s) carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 cup(s) stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 cup(s) leek, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf, dried or fresh
- 1 small sprig of rosemary, fresh
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese or Grana Padano, for sprinkling
- 1. Place barley in a bowl and cover with hot water. Let it soak for 20-30 minutes. Drain and rinse.
- 2. Cook barley in hot vegetable stock over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- 3. Cut the sliced pancetta and prosciutto into thin sticks.
- 4. Add pancetta, prosciutto, olive oil, carrots, celery, leeks, bay leaf and rosemary to the vegetable stock with pearl barley.
- 5. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 minutes, or until barley and vegetables are very tender. Season with pepper.
- 6. Serve soup with grated Parmesan or Grana Padano cheese.