Barley and vegetable soup
Tasty, thick and nourishing.
This recipe contains barley, water, pancetta, prosciutto, vegetable stock, olive oil, carrots, celery, leeks, bay leaves, rosemary, black pepper, cheese (parmesan)
4 servings servings
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 3 cups hot water
- 50g pancetta, thinly sliced
- 50g prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 liters vegetable stock from 1 vegetable cube
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf, dried or fresh
- 1 small sprig of rosemary, fresh
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese or Grana Padano, for sprinkling
- 1. Place barley in a bowl and cover with hot water. Let it soak for 20-30 minutes. Drain and rinse.
- 2. Cook barley in hot vegetable stock over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- 3. Cut the sliced pancetta and prosciutto into thin sticks.
- 4. Add pancetta, prosciutto, olive oil, carrots, celery, leeks, bay leaf and rosemary to the vegetable stock with pearl barley.
- 5. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 minutes, or until barley and vegetables are very tender. Season with pepper.
- 6. Serve soup with grated Parmesan or Grana Padano cheese.