BBQ Beef Brisket
You have to make this ASAP. If you’ve ever felt intimidated by a large piece of brisket, now is your chance to conquer it. This brisket recipe is foolproof and simply delicious!
This recipe contains beef (brisket), salt, oil (vegetable), onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, barbecue sauce, sugar (brown), cornstarch
6 - 8 Servings
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 5 hr
- 5 lb. brisket
- 2 tbsp. oil for searing
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (use 1/2 tsp for more heat)
- 1 1/2 cup(s) smokey barbecue sauce
- 1/3 cup(s) brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1. Trim any large, thick pieces of fat from the brisket (don’t remove all of the fat because it keeps the meat moist during cooking and adds flavor)
- 2. Sprinkle brisket with salt and pepper.
- 3. Mix the onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cumin, and cayenne pepper together in a small bowl.
- 4. Dry rub both sides of the brisket with the seasoning mixture.
- 5. Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat and sear the meat on both sides.
- 6. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- 7. Stir together the honey barbecue sauce and brown sugar.
- 8. Pour half of the sauce into the bottom of your slow cooker.
- 9. Place the brisket, fatty side up, into the slow cooker.
- 10. Cover the top o the brisket with the remaining sauce.
- 11. Cover the slow cooker and set heat to low for 9 hours, or until fork tender.
- 12. When the brisket is cooked, remove it carefully from the slow cooker and place it on a cutting board.
- 13. Pour the sauce from the slow cooker into a saucepan and let it cool.
- 14. Skim the fat that has risen to the top of the sauce in the large bowl.
- 15. It will appear lighter in color than the sauce, like droplets of oil on the surface. Skim as much fat as you can.
- 16. In a small bowl, stir together cornstarch and 1 tbs. of water till completely smooth.
- 17. Pour the cornstarch mixture into the bowl of sauce and stir to combine.
- 18. Reduce the sauce quickly in a saucepan on the stovetop by simmering it to 10 minutes.
- 19. Pour the sauce over the brisket and serve.
- 20. The leftovers make great BBQ sandwiches.
- 21. If you like crockpot food, be sure to check out some of my favorite recipes at www.mealdiva.com