Beef pastissada with gnocchi
Croatian beef pastissada is a tender, mouthwatering specialty.
This recipe contains vegetable bouillon, beef, pancetta, garlic, wine (red), olive oil, onions, celery root, parsley root, carrots, water, apples, figs (dried), prunes, , bay leaves, thyme, tomato paste, black pepper, , flour, potatoes, eggs, butter, salt,
10 servings servings
- 2 tsp Vegeta (or similar seasoning)
- 1.5 to 2 kg beef ham
- 150 g pancetta cut into matchsticks
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced into quarters
- 400 ml red wine
- 80 ml olive oil
- 200 g onions, chopped
- 150 g celeriac, cut into small pieces
- 150 g parsley root, cut into small pieces
- 120 g carrots, cut into small pieces
- 700 ml water
- 1 apple, peeled, pitted, sliced into quarters
- 4-6 dried figs
- 4-6 prunes
- Rosemary needles
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 150-200 g flour
- 500 g boiled potatoes, peeled
- 1 egg
- 60 g butter
- 1. Wash the meat, wipe, rub it with Vegeta. Make small pockets with a knife and put bacon and garlic into each pocket.
- 2. Pour wine over the meat, cover with plastic wrap and leave to marinate in refrigerator overnight.
- 3. Remove the meat from wine, save the wine for later use.
- 4. Brown the whole meat from all sides in hot oil. Remove and put aside.
- 5. Sauté onions briefly in the same oil.
- 6. Add celery, parsley and carrots and sauté briefly.
- 7. Return the meat to the pan, add a little water.
- 8. Cook covered over low heat for about 2 hours, occasionally adding a mixture of wine and water.
- 9. Add apple, figs and prunes to the half cooked meat (after about 1 h).
- 10. Before the end of cooking add laurel, rosemary, thyme, tomato paste and pepper, bring to the boil.
- 11. Remove the meat and bay leaf. Puree vegetables and the liquid in a blender.
- 12. Slice the meat; cover each slice with the sauce. Serve with gnocchi.
- 13. Easy tip: when adding water and wine during cooking, do not stir, just shake the pan.
- 14. Gnocchi:
- 15. Mash potatoes while still hot.
- 16. Add flour, egg, butter and salt and make dough.
- 17. Divide the dough into smaller pieces, shape each one into a thin roll and cut into the equal sized pieces.
- 18. Leave the gnocchi to stand for 1 hour before cooking.
- 19. Cook them in a lot of salty, boiling water for 10 minutes (let them cook a little more after they rise to the surface).
- 20. Take them out with a slotted spoon or strain in a colander.