Beet & Bleu Cheese Tortelloni with Sautéed Beet Greens
These tortelloni have a beet, bleu cheese and pecorino romano filling and are dressed with sautéed beet greens.
This recipe contains beets, cheese (blue), cheese (pecorino), eggs, wonton wrappers, olive oil, butter, garlic
Prep time: 1 hr
Cook time: 1 hr
- 1 whole bunch of beets, with greens
- 1/3 cup(s) bleu cheese (I used bleu d'auvergne)
- 1/4 cup(s) pecorino romano, plus extra for serving
- 1 egg
- 1 pkg(s) package wonton wrappers
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 clove(s) garlic clove, minced
- 1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cut the tops off of the beets and remove the greens from their thick stems.
- 2. Chop the greens and set them aside.
- 3. Boil the beets until fork-tender, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Drain them, then peel off their skins using your hands under cold running water.
- 5. Cut one of the beets into chunks and set the others aside for another use. In a food processor, add the chopped beet, bleu cheese, pecorino romano, and egg. Pulse until pureed.
- 6. You’re now ready to make your first tortelloni.
- 7. Spoon about two teaspoons of the filling onto one of wonton wrappers.
- 8. Brush all 4 sides with water.
- 9. Fold one corner over to the opposite corner, creating a triangle shape.
- 10. Seal the edges together with a fork.
- 11. Pinch the two bottom corners together using your thumb and index finger.
- 12. Sit it up and fold down the top corner, and you’ve made your first one!
- 13. After about 45 minutes, I had cranked out 34 of these beauties.
- 14. I botched one of them and I was pretty generous with the filling, so you may end up with more than 34.
- 15. Don’t stress if they’re not perfect.
- 16. Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the tortelloni.
- 17. In the meantime, in a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- 18. Add the garlic and beet greens and sauté until wilted.
- 19. When the tortelloni are done, add the butter to the pan with the garlic and beet greens.
- 20. Take out the tortelloni using a slotted spoon or spider strainer and add them to the pan.
- 21. Toss everything, being careful not to break open the tortelloni.
- 22. Sprinkle with pecorino romano and serve.