Best Ever Fettuccine Alfredo
This rich and decadent recipe for the Best Ever Fettuccine Alfredo is the perfect way to celebrate International NO DIET Day!
This recipe contains butter, garlic, cream cheese, heavy cream, cheese (parmigiano-reggiano), cheese (parmesan), oregano, pasta (fettuccine), oregano (fresh), salt, black pepper
8 servings servings
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 clove of garlic minced very small
- 1 block of cream cheese cut into 1 inch cubes. (the lite kind is ok but believe me, if you are having fettucini have the fettucini don't skimp) .
- 1 cup of heavy cream (again, you can use half and half or milk but if you are having fettucini, have the fettucini!) .
- 1 cup of freshly grated Parmesano Reggiano
- 1/4 cup of Parmesan Cheese (you know, in the green plastic can I have no idea why but this makes it creamier) .
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 box of fettucini noodles
- Fresh oregano for garnish
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1. In a thick bottomed heavy soup sized pan, heat the butter until melted over medium heat.
- 2. Add the minced garlic, cream cheese, heavy cream and the Parmesano and Parmesan cheeses.
- 3. (If, like me, you live in a remote place where the real deal Parmesano Regiano is not available to you at your local grocer –you CAN use the Parmesan in the green can for the entire amount – however, the flavor is SO MUCH BETTER with the real thing –pick some up on your next trip into the city – it is expensive, but lasts a super long time and makes a lot when you grate it up!).
- 4. Reduce the heat to medium-low and stir frequently until all is melted.
- 5. Add the dried oregano.
- 6. Reduce heat to low and maintain until ready to serve.
- 7. Stir frequently to keep from burning to the bottom of the pot.
- 8. While the ingredients in step one are melting, cook the fettuccine noodles according to package instructions except DO NOT SALT THE WATER.
- 9. Once the sauce is completely melted, it is very important to taste it BEFORE you add any salt – then carefully add salt until it tastes right to you. Then this is important too – take a prepared noodle (remember you didn’t salt the water), dip it in the cheese that tastes right to you and make sure it still tastes right. It might need a tiny bit more salt – since the noodle has none.
- 10. Cheese is very salty and often the salt does not require any salt – it really just depends on the quality of the cheese you are able to locate.
- 11. When the sauce and the noodle combo finally taste just right to you, you are ready to serve your masterpiece!
- 12. When ready to serve, place the noodles in a large serving dish and as guests sit down to eat, pour the sauce over the noodles, toss gently and garnish with fresh herbs. Serve immediately.
- 13. Keep sauce separate until ready to eat because it will clump as it cools. If you need to reheat leftovers, you can place in a sauce pot, heat over medium heat and add a little milk and stir frequently.