Best Potato Cheese Soup in a bread bowl
This rich and creamy Potato Cheese Soup will delight your mouth and your tummy for hours!
This recipe contains olive oil, onions, garlic, chicken stock, water, salt, potatoes, carrots, milk, heavy cream, butter, velveeta cheese, cheese (cheddar, sharp, shredded), cheese (parmesan), salt, , black pepper, fresh chives, sour cream, bacon
8 servings servings
- 2 tbs Olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion diced
- 2 tsp garlic minced (about 4 cloves)
- 1 quart Chicken Stock (if boxed, use one large box) .
- 1 quart of water
- 2 tsp salt
- 5-6 large potatoes cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes (if Russets or baking potatoes, peel. If Red or Yukon Gold no need to peel) .
- 3 large carrots - peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/3 Gallon of whole milk
- 1/2 pint Heavy Cream
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1/2 block velveeta cheese cubed.
- 2 Cups Sharp cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1 C Parmesean grated
- Salt to taste
- Garnish bacon crumbles, chives, sour cream, shredded cheese.
- pepper to taste
- sour cream
- bacon crumbles
- 1. In a large heavy stock pot, heat 2 tbs of olive oil.
- 2. When hot, add onions and cook over medium heat until translucent – 2-3 mins.
- 3. Add garlic and cook for another 1 minute.
- 4. Add Chicken stock, water and salt to pot.
- 5. Add potatoes and carrots to stock pot and bring to a boil.
- 6. Boil until potatoes are fork tender.
- 7. Turn burner off and allow to cool until able to remove about ½ of the potatoes with a slotted spoon to a food processor or blender.
- 8. Process until potatoes turn into a paste and then add back to the stock pot.
- 9. Place stock pot back on the burner and on medium heat, add milk, cream, butter and Velveeta cheese and heat until butter and Velveeta is melted.
- 10. Do not bring to a boil – adjust heat to low as temperature nears boiling.
- 11. Stir frequently with wooden spoon and scrape bottom of stock pot frequently to prevent sticking.
- 12. Add sharp cheddar one handful at a time, stirring each time.
- 13. Add parmesean.
- 14. Add salt and pepper to taste (will vary greatly depending on types of cheese you use – so add a little, taste, repeat).
- 15. Serve in bread bowl, soup bowl or mug.
- 16. Garnish with bacon crumbles, chives, sour cream and shredded cheese.