Best Sausage Gravy
Best Every Sausage Gravy - only 3 Ingredients
This recipe contains sausage (breakfast), flour (all-purpose), milk, salt, black pepper
- 1/2 lb. breakfast sausage
- 1/2 all purpose flour + more if needed use your judgment
- 1/2 gal. whole milk
- 1. Crumble and brown the sausage in a large skillet on medium heat.
- 2. When done, drain off all of the fat. With the skillet pulled off of the heat, add the flour and mix it around so that it works into the sausage – add more flour if needed – the sausage should resemble lightly powered donuts.
- 3. Place skillet back on the burner set on medium high.
- 4. Stir and cook the sausage with the flour on it for 2 minutes.
- 5. FROM THIS POINT ON DO NOT STOP STIRRING.
- 6. Add the milk all at once and deglaze the pan with the milk (I know that sounds weird).
- 7. Scrape the tasty bits from the bottom of the pan and continue stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan until the tiniest boiling bubbles begin to form in the milk
- 8. – then reduce the heat quickly to just below medium and be ready to push the pan off of the heat quickly if it begins to boil over.
- 9. Add salt and pepper.
- 10. continue to stir and scrape until gravy begins to thicken.
- 11. DO NOT STOP STIRRING.
- 12. Cook to desired thickness.
- 13. Allow gravy to sit for about 5 minutes before serving. It will thicken more during this time.