Bing's Mango Salsa
My friend, Suvarna made this dish for her party. I liked it so much that I asked for her recipe immediately. Better yet, I made her come to my house and cook lunch with me and make a tutorial with me.This is so good on its own. Or with a meat dish, like steak or stew or even a curry. And is fresh and summery. I’m going to make this forever.Please note that all ingredients are to taste and it is not necessary to be exact in measurements. For a step by step tutorial on how to make this, go to - http://www.storyofbing.com/2012/02/mango-salsa/
This recipe contains mango, limes, limes, cilantro, shallots, salt, black pepper, sugar, chili
- 1.5 to 2 cups of sweet ripe mangoes (peeled and seed removed)
- Zest from 1 lime
- Juice from 1/2 to 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons of coriander leaves or mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons shallots/red onion (very thinly sliced)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon of sugar (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons of chopped fresh chilli (seeds removed)
- 1. Begin by cutting the mangoes into small 1.5cm by 1.5cm cubes.
- 2. Place the mangoes in a large mixing bowl.
- 3. Grate the zest of 1 lime into the mangoes.
- 4. Squeeze juice from half a lime into the mangoes. Add more lime juice to taste if required later.
- 5. Chop a bunch of coriander leaves (or use mint leaves if you hate the taste of coriander) into fine bits.
- 6. Add the chopped coriander to the mango mixture.
- 7. Stir well to combine. In fact, Suvarna recommended to stir well after the addition of every ingredient.
- 8. Cut the shallots or red onion into very thin slices.
- 9. Add the sliced shallots or red onion to the mango mixture and stir well to combine.
- 10. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt or to taste.
- 11. Add 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper or to taste.
- 12. Add 1 teaspoon of sugar or to taste.
- 13. Stir well to combine and do a taste test. Add lime juice, sugar, salt or pepper as necessary to get a nice savoury sweet tangy flavour.
- 14. Finally add the chopped chillis. Add according to your own heat tolerance. Some chillis are more spicy than others so add a little at a time till you acquire the desired spiciness. Stir well to combine.
- 15. Cover the bowl with cling wrap and place bowl in the fridge for at least 1/2 hour for the flavours to combine.
- 16. Keep the mango salsa chilled till ready to serve.