Apple Pears and Dates Chutney / Compote
It is Autumn.. It is orange… It is red… It is yellow.. It is just the most divine season for me.. The crisp of air and the beautiful apples, pears and pumpkins in the market…with a hint of cinnamon flavors, burst from everywhere. I am kind of crazy when I go grocery shopping. My cart is filled with lots of fresh produce including vegetables and fruits, which after all are not completely consumed because of abundance. They become mushy and soft and in a state not to be eaten raw. I didn’t want to throw my apples and one pear that was in the mushy gushy state. So this is what I made…beautiful golden gorgeous fruit chutney or compote which is spicy and sweet and what a great way to use the fruits.
This recipe contains apples, pears, fresh ginger, dates, chili, cinnamon stick, cumin powder, black pepper, salt, red chili powder, vinegar, brown sugar
1 cup servings
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 1 hr 30 min
- Apple : 4 small washed and cut in cubes
- Pear : 1 big washed and cut in cubes
- Ginger : 1 tbsp minced
- Dates : 6-8
- Red dry whole chilli : 2-3
- Cinnamon stick : 1 big
- Cumin powder : 1 tbsp. Take the cumin seeds in a pan and dry roast on low flame for a minute or less till they turn slightly brown. Don't burn. Cool and grind in coffee grinder. Use 1 tbsp.
- Black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Red chilli powder : to taste, optional
- Vinegar : 2 tbsp
- Brown sugar or regular : to taste or 1/2 cup
- 1. Soak dates, red dry whole chillies and cinnamon stick together for 1-2 hrs
- 2. Cut the fruits.
- 3. I had cut them early so I soaked them in 2 tbsp vinegar to avoid discoloring. Or else, the vinegar can be added later on.
- 4. Blend the soaked dates, cinnamon, red chili whole, ginger and the fruits, everything in the blender to purée.
- 5. In a pan, add brown sugar and the purée.
- 6. Add salt and pepper and cumin powder.
- 7. Cook till water is evaporated on low flame.
- 8. It may take from 1/2 hr to 1 hr, depending upon the water content of the fruit.
- 9. Cool the chutney and store in air tight jar in the fridge .
- 10. Enjoy with crackers, on sandwiches, on toasted crostinis, as a dip with cream cheese for your more fancy party crackers and pretzels.