Apple Sausage Galette
This rustic salty-sweet treat is the perfect delicious compliment to a blustery autumn day.
This recipe contains , flour (pastry), flour (whole wheat pastry), unsalted butter, salt, water, , onions (red), olive oil, sausage, apples, brown sugar, flour (pastry), ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, rosemary, milk
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 1 hr 20 min
- 3/4 cup(s) pastry flour
- 1/2 cup(s) whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup(s) cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 1/2 salt
- 1/4 cup(s) cold water
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 honey garlic sausages, castings removed
- 3 Cortland apples, cored and sliced
- 1/4 brown sugar
- 1/8 cup(s) pastry flour
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/8 cup(s) milk
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°
- 2. For the Pastry: Combine flours, and salt in a large bowl.
- 3. Add butter and cut it into the dry mixture using a pastry blender until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- 4. Add water and stir until the dough starts to come together.
- 5. Touching the pastry as little as possible, form the mixture into a ball and flatten into a disc.
- 6. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for a minimum of a half an hour or up to 48 hours.
- 7. When ready to use, remove the pastry from the fridge and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
- 8. Place on a cool well-floured surface.
- 9. Using a floured rolling, pin roll out pastry in a circular shape until it is 1/8 of an inch thick.
- 10. For the Filling: In a medium skillet heat olive oil over medium heat.
- 11. Add onion and sprinkle liberally with salt.
- 12. Sautee for approximately 10 minutes until translucent.
- 13. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 14. If necessary add more oil to the pan and add the sausage.
- 15. Cook until browned then remove from heat and set aside.
- 16. In a large bowl combine apples, spices, sugar and flour.
- 17. To Assemble: Place a layer of onion onto the waiting pastry leaving a 1 ½ inch border along the edge.
- 18. Top with ½ of the sausage and ½ of the rosemary.
- 19. Add apples and sprinkle with the remaining sausage and rosemary.
- 20. Wrap the edges towards the center.
- 21. Brush pastry with milk.
- 22. Slide onto a pizza pan and place in the oven.
- 23. Bake for 20 minutes then reduce heat to 350° and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- 24. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.