Apples let us savour the flavours of fall
Each season boasts unique flavours and ingredients. The fall harvest, in particular, is known for apples, and Canada is known for its multitude of varieties – from sweet to tart. Each type of apple offers a distinct taste and characteristic, especially when it comes to cooking. If you don't have apples on hand, substitute an apple beverage in your cooking, such as apple lager, which is another easy way to bring this sweet, crisp flavor to life.Cider as well, is spiking as the fastest growing beverage in Canada and its flavor evolves throughout the harvest season depending on the variety of apples available. This delicious recipe incorporates the fresh and crisp flavor of an apple beverage into a seasonal vegetable pasta dish.
This recipe contains garlic, onions, bell peppers (red), squash (butternut), olive oil, salt, peppers (chipotle), pancetta, pasta (spaghetti), apple cider, heavy cream, arugula, cheese (parmesan, shredded), black pepper
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 40 min
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped.
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 750 ml (3 cups) butternut squash, diced
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) Chipotle pepper, ground
- 6 slices of pancetta
- 450 g (1 lb) capellini or spaghettini
- 1 473 ml can of Molson Canadian Cider
- 375 ml (11/2 cups) 35% cream
- 500 ml (2 cups) arugula or spinach sprouts
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) parmesan cheese, grated or shaved
- 1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
- 2. In a lasagna dish, mix the garlic, onion, pepper and squash. Coat with olive oil, season and sprinkle with Chipotle pepper.
- 3. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes or until the diced squash is tender and golden.
- 4. Spread the slices of pancetta on a baking sheet overlaid with parchment paper. Bake in the oven until crispy. Set aside.
- 5. In the interim, cook the pasta in accordance with the instructions on the package. Strain and set aside.
- 6. Pour the Cider into the pan used to cook the pasta and reduce by a third.
- 7. Add the cream and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- 8. Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and stir to coat.
- 9. Serve the spaghetti in soup plates. Garnish with roasted vegetables, arugula, parmesan and pancetta chips. Enjoy
- 10. More information about apple-flavoured beers is available at facebook.com/MolsonCanadian.
- 11. www.newscanda.com