Asian-Style Spicy Beef Chili
Our hearty and semi-healthy chili is back on the menu with a slightly different twist. After the cooler than expected temperatures, which is a big "hooray" for me because this signals the end of my seasonal allergies, we decided to make another variation with an Asian flair...full story and recipe at http://www.oliviajasonkim.com
This recipe contains , , , , chuck ground, chili powder packet, potatoes, onions (yellow), crushed red pepper, dried red chilies, tomatoes, garlic, black beans, kidney beans, water, salt, sesame seeds, cheese, pepper
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 1 hr
- 1.5 lbs ground chuck or beef
- 2 (1.25 oz) packets chili powder (medium or hot)
- 1 medium sized potato, cubed
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 tbsp red chili pepper flakes
- 5, 6 dried red chili peppers
- 1 large can tomato, diced
- 5, 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans
- 1, 2 cups water (or beef broth)
- salt to taste
- sesame seeds (garnish)
- shredded cheese (optional)
- pepper to taste
- 1. Brown ground meat in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat. Cook until brown and add the minced garlic.
- 2. Discard excess fatty oil either by draining or using a strainer.
- 3. After cutting hard vegetables into cubes, add to the pot with water, chili powder, and seasonings like soy sauce and red pepper flakes. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring continuously.
- 4. Add remaining ingredients like canned tomatoes and bean varieties; slow boil on low heat for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- 5. Serve with rice and/or desired toppings like sesame seeds, diced onions, cheese, or even crackers.
- 6. *Instead of using premade chili mix packets (like we do), you can also combine the following ingredients to make your own chili seasoning: chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, and salt.