Autumn Harvest Quail
On October 9th, 2012, Tropical Foods had its Flavors of the Fall Recipe Contest with the culinary students at the Charlotte Campus of Johnson & Wales University. This recipe, Autumn Harvest Quail, was created by Allegra Grant.
This recipe contains trail mix, , quail, shallots, fresh garlic, oranges, fresh thyme, rosemary (fresh), butter, salt, , balsamic vinegar, sugar, fresh garlic, rosemary (fresh), chicken stock, quinoa (tri-color), butternut squash, , butter, garlic, shallots, baby spinach, white wine, pepper
4 servings servings
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 1 hr
- 1 cup Tropical Food's Diet Delight, separated or trail mix
- 4 whole quail
- 2 small shallots, halved
- 4 small garlic cloves
- 1 orange, cut into wedges
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 sprigs rosemary, halved
- 4 tbsp. butter
- Salt to taste
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 & 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup tri-color quinoa
- 1 cup butternut squash, cubed
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 shallot, minced
- 8 cups baby spinach, washed well
- White wine for deglazing
- pepper to taste
- 1. Separate raisins from nuts and seeds in trail mix.
- . QUAIL:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- 3. Stuff each quail with ½ shallot, one garlic clove, one orange wedge, one sprig of thyme, one sprig of rosemary.
- 4. Rub quail with butter, season with salt and pepper.
- 5. Roast quail for 10 minutes at 400 degrees,
- 6. Then at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
- . QUINOA:
- 7. In a small saucepan, add raisins from trail mix, balsamic vinegar, sugar, garlic, and rosemary
- 8. Slowly simmer until it is thickened.
- 9. Boil chicken stock; add quinoa and butternut squash.
- 10. Simmer gently for about 25 minutes.
- . SPINACH:
Toast nuts and seeds from trail mix in butter with garlic and shallots.
- 12. Sauté spinach with mixture, then deglaze pan with white wine and season with salt and pepper.
- 13. SERVING:
Remove quail from oven and rest for 2 minutes. Sauce plate; add bed of quinoa, top with spinach mixture, and quail.