Avgolemono Chicken Soup - A Greek Egg and Lemon Chicken Soup
Καλημέρα - Kaliméra! Greek cuisine has a world reputation of being delicious, hearty and the quintessential Mediterranean food. I have always loved it, although I have not mastered at home, but when I finally visited Greece I thoroughly understood why and that all of it was indeed true! Athens, besides its historical richness, the imposing ruins and its cheerful ambiance also remains in my top five best places to eat!
I've cooked moussaka before and in summer I usually prepare tzatziki, but that was as far as I went with Greek cooking until today, when I took a step further and prepared this delicious soup: a chicken and rice soup with Avgolemono, a lemon and egg sauce that provides a unique and exquisite texture. This was the first time I made it and it is already among my favourites! This is my quick and easy approach to it, let's try it?
This recipe contains , olive oil, onions (green/spring), chicken breasts, oregano, chicken stock, brown rice, fresh parsley, , eggs, salt, lemon juice, chicken stock, salt, pepper
4 servings servings
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 30 min
- For the soup
- a dash of olive oil
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 chicken breast, cut into thin strips or diced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 liter chicken stock
- 1/4 cup brown rice (Use long grain white rice or orzo pasta if preferred)
- Fresh chopped parsley to garnish
- For the Avgolemono sauce
- 2 eggs
- a pinch of salt
- 1 lemon juice
- 1/2 cup warm chicken stock (taken from the soup)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1. In a cooking pot heat the oil, add the onions and sauté until soften. Add the chicken, salt, pepper and oregano to taste and slightly brown.
- 2. Pour the stock, bring to a boil and include the rice. Lower the heat and simmer around 30 minutes until the rice is fully cooked. If you use orzo pasta or white rice the cooking time will vary to 10 and 20 minutes respectively.
- 3. While the soup is cooking, beat the eggs in a bowl with a pinch of salt. Slowly pour the lemon juice whisking continuously. Then whisking the egg-lemon mix carefully add the warm stock. It is important that the stock has been previously cooled down to avoid curdling the eggs.
- 4. Once cooked, turn the heat off the soup, make sure is not boiling (again to avoid the egg sauce to curdle) and slowly pour the sauce into the soup and stir to blend. It has to result in a creamy texture. You just have to be careful in this final step, but it is really easy to prepare!
- 5. Serve, garnish with parsley and enjoy!