Banana Bread with Chocolate Swirl
Moist, fluffy banana bread topped with a luscious chocolate swirl. You won’t believe that this delicious treat is gluten-free!
This recipe contains oil, bananas, canola oil, coconut sugar, eggs, non-fat greek yogurt, vanilla extract, oats, brown rice flour, ground psyllium husk, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, baking soda, baking powder, chocolate chips
11 Slices servings
- Natural cooking spray or regular oil for greasing pan
- 3 overripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 TBS non-fat greek yogurt (or plain yogurt)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/4 cup rolled oats, ground (or a bit over a cup of oat flour)
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1 TBS ground psyllium husk
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1. Preheat oven to 375º F (180º C).
- 2. Either grease a loaf pan directly with cooking spray or oil, or line the pan with parchment paper and then spray the insides.
- 3. Be sure to have at least half an inch of parchment paper above the loaf pan.
- 4. In a large bowl, mix the mashed bananas, oil, coconut sugar, eggs, yogurt, and vanilla together.
- 5. In another bowl, mix together the ground rolled oats (or oat flour), brown rice flour, psyllium husk, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- 6. Mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients.
- 7. I like to add the flour mixture in three batches.
- 8. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips.
- 9. Set the microwave for about a minute and then check the chocolate.
- 10. Be careful with hot bowls! If the chocolate has barely melted, continue microwaving at 15-second increments until the chips are partially melted and very soft.
- 11. The chocolate doesn't need to be saucy--just melted enough so that you can stir the chips together into a creamy consistency.
- 12. Pour the banana batter into the loaf pan.
- 13. Add dollops of the chocolate sauce on top of the batter.
- 14. Using a butter knife, swirl the chocolate around so that you create a nice psychedelic swirl pattern.
- 15. Bake the bread for about 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when you pierce through the banana bread portions.
- 16. Try not to test the bread by sticking the toothpick in the chocolate portions, as the toothpick will always come out with gooey melted chocolate.
- 17. Let the bread cool for at least 45 to 50 minutes before taking it out of the pan for slicing.
- 18. Store any leftovers in sealable container. Refrigerate any bread that you haven't finished in several days.