Black Pepper Oatcakes
These slightly spicy, toasty oat treats are the perfect muse for your favorite cheese.
This recipe contains , rolled oats, unsalted butter, salt, black pepper, water, , milk, sugar, sea salt
10 - 12 Servings
- 2 cup(s) rolled oats
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- cold water
- GLAZE (optional) :
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- coarse sea salt
- 1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- 2. Place one cup of rolled oats in the bowl of a food processor. Process until very fine like a flour.
- 3. Add the remaining cup of oats, butter, salt and pepper. Pulse until coarse crumbs appear.
- 4. With the processor running, slowly add enough water just until the mixture resembles large curds. Don’t wait for it to form a ball and ride on the blade, or you risk overdoing it.
- 5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board. Bring it together with your hands adding more water if necessary. You want a soft, cohesive dough that isn’t sticky.
- 6. Roll the dough out to an 1/8-inch thickness. Using a pastry cutter, cookie cutter, or knife cut the dough into any shapes you like.
- 7. Transfer the crackers to a large baking sheet.
- 8. Combine the milk and sugar in a small bowl stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- 9. Brush the tops of the crackers and sprinkle with salt.
- 10. Bake for 20 minutes, until the bottoms are lightly browned.
- 11. Allow crackers to cool on the sheet for five minutes then remove to a wire rack.
- 12. Store in airtight containers when completely cool.