Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes
Why bake a whole cake when you can make adorable individual sized Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes?! Make them from Scratch with a homemade vanilla pudding filling and chocolate ganache topping!
This recipe contains , unsalted butter, sugar, vanilla extract, eggs, flour, baking powder, salt, milk (buttermilk), , eggs, milk, sugar, cornstarch, salt, vanilla extract, , heavy cream, butter, chocolate (semi-sweet, bar)
9 - 18 Dozen
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 30 min
- For the Cake:
- 12 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup(s) sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 5 1/2 cup(s) flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2/3 cup(s) buttermilk
- For the filling:
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 cup(s) milk
- 1/2 cup(s) sugar
- 1/3 cup(s) cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- For the Ganache:
- 6 tbsp. heavy cream
- 3 tbsp. butter, cut into pieces
- 6 oz. semi-sweet baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1. For the cake:
- 2. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- 3. In a stand mixer cream together the butter and sugar then add the vanilla and beat again.
- 4. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
- 5. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
- 6. Add half of the flour mixture to the mixing bowl and mix until just combined.
- 7. Then add the buttermilk and mix again. Finally, add the rest of the flour mixture and mix until well combined.
- 8. Line a lightly muffin pan with cupcake liners and fill each liner ¾ of the way full.
- 9. Bake in oven for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean and let cool completely.
- 10. For the Filling:
- 11. In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks well and then gradually stir in milk until well blended.
- 12. In a large, heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, mix together sugar, cornstarch, and salt then gradually add in milk mixture, stirring well to prevent lumps.
- 13. Continue cooking over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until mixture reaches a low boil (about 20 minutes).
- 14. Allow to boil, still stirring constantly for 1 minute. Then immediately remove from heat.
- 15. Set pot in a large bowl of ice water, still stirring.
- 16. When mixture has cooled a bit, stir in vanilla.
- 17. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on filling to prevent a skin from forming and place in refrigerator until ready to use.
- 18. To make the Ganache:
- 19. Heat cream and butter in a small saucepan until the butter melts and the cream starts to boil, stirring often.
- 20. Place chocolate in a food processor and process until it’s finely chopped, or chop with a large knife.
- 21. Gradually add the hot cream into food processor and process until the mixture is smooth. If you don't have a food processor, add the chopped chocolate to the saucepan and mix until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- 22. To assemble the cupcakes:
- 23. When the cupcakes are cooled completely, remove from liners and slice in half with a very sharp knife.
- 24. Add a dollop of pudding to the center of the bottom half of the cupcake and gently place top half on.
- 25. With a small spoon, spoon ganache on top of cupcake.
- 26. Allow 30 minutes to an hour for the ganache to set.