Ahi Tuna with Sweet and Spicy Asian Slaw
On October 9th, 2012, Tropical Foods had its Flavors of the Fall Recipe Contest with the culinary students at the Charlotte Campus of Johnson & Wales University. This recipe, Pepper Crusted Ahi Tuna with Sweet and Spicy Asian Slaw, was created by Meagan Peoples.
This recipe contains snack mix (spicy), fish (tuna), black pepper, olive oil, soy sauce, oil (sesame), rice vinegar, honey, mayonnaise, limes, ginger (fresh), garlic, sugar (brown), cabbage (napa), cabbage (green), carrots, peas, sesame seed (black), salt
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 5 min
- 1/2 cup(s) Tropical Food's Mexicali Fire Snack Mix
- 2 oz. , 4 oz. fresh ahi tuna
- 2 tbsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup(s) extra virgin olive oil
- 5 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1/4 cup(s) rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. mayonnaise
- Zest of 1 lime
- 3 tbsp. ginger, minced
- 1 tbsp. garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 cup(s) napa cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup(s) green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 cup(s) carrots, julienned
- 1/2 cup(s) wasabi peas
- 1 tbsp. black sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1. In a large mixing bowl combine extra virgin olive oil, soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, honey, mayonnaise, lime zest, minced garlic, minced ginger, salt, and brown sugar
- 2. set aside.
- 3. Thinly slice napa cabbage and green cabbage, place into another large mixing bowl.
- 4. Julienne carrots and add to cabbage
- 5. set aside.
- 6. Combine cabbage with dressing and toss in black sesame seeds, wasabi peas and Tropical Food’s Mexicali Fire®.
- 7. Crust each tuna filet with course ground black pepper.
- 8. Grill or sauté for 2 minutes on each side until seared, but still raw inside.
- 9. Slice and plate with Asian slaw.