Ajvar, vegan bread spread or dip
A wonderful, vegan, Eastern European bread spread, dip or side dish with roasted peppers and eggplants
This recipe contains bell peppers (red), eggplant, garlic, onions, paprika, salt, pepper, white wine vinegar, olive oil
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 1 hr
- 4 red bell peppers
- 2 small eggplants
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 100 ml/ a bit less than 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius/ 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2. Place the red bell peppers and the eggplants on a baking tray laid with baking paper and bake them for about 20 to 40 minutes, depending on size, until the skin blackens and the vegetables are really soft.
- 3. Alternatively and even better for the taste is to grill the veggies on a hot grill.
- 4. Place the peppers in a plastic bag, seal the bag and leave them until they cool down a little. This will help with removing the skin afterward.
- 5. Let the eggplants cool down as well.
- 6. When cool enough to handle remove the skins of the vegetables very thoroughly.
- 7. Mash the vegetables, not very finely, you should still have small chunks of the veggies here and there.
- 8. Add the grated garlic clove, the finely chopped onion, salt, pepper and hot paprika powder.
- 9. Mix well and add the vinegar and olive oil in a thin stream while stirring all the time.
- 10. Adjust the taste with more salt and pepper if necessary.