Alaska pollack fish cakes
Delicious fish cakes ideal for lunch or supper. Make it the day before up to step 6, then proceed the next day. Saves time!
This recipe contains fish (white fish your choice), water, lemon juice, wine (white), parsley, olive oil, onions, garlic, potatoes, eggs, , bell peppers (red), parsley, salt, black pepper, worcestershire, butter
2 - 3 Servings
Prep time: < 5 min
Cook time: 50 min
- 400 g. Alaska pollack or other white fish fillets (fresh or thawed)
- 1/2 - 1 cup(s) water
- 1 lemon juice
- 1 splash of white wine
- 1/2 olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove(s) garlic, pressed
- Mash (puree) from 4 small or 2 large potatoes
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 small red pepper, finely chopped or 1-2 tbs crushed dry pepperoncini
- 2 tbsp. parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 - 2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 50 - 80 g. butter for cooking
- 1. Place fish fillets in an ovenproof dish, pour a mixture of water, lemon juice and wine, sprinkle with parsley leaves.
- 2. Cover with foil suitable for microwave and process 5 minutes on MAX.
- 3. Drain well and leave to cool.
- 4. OR
- 5. Steam fish fillets water, lemon juice, wine and parsley about 7 minutes or until it flakes.
- 6. Sauté onion and garlic for 2 minutes in olive oil over low heat until translucent (make sure the garlic does not burn).
- 7. Remove with slotted spoon and place on a paper towel.
- 8. Mix mashed potatoes, onion, garlic, egg, egg yolk, pepperoncini, parsley, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
- 9. Gently flake and fold the fish into potato mixture.
- 10. If mixture is too wet, add homemade bread crumbs until cakes hold together.
- 11. Roll out the mixture on floured surface to desired thickness (1-2cm) and cut out 10-12 cakes.
- 12. Fry cakes in hot butter over medium heat, about 4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- 13. Remove with slotted spoon and place on a paper towel.
- 14. Serve immediately with a mix of homemade or bought mayonnaise, ketchup and chopped garlic (or other herbs - chives, parsley).