This cake is great if is done at home, does not compare to what is found in bakeries. I found a few recipes for the cake and cream, but I chose to make this one, only with 4 eggs, butter cream and a fondant frosting of course, this is a true Amandina (Chocolate cake). I chose to inspire from www.enjoydessert.blogspot.ro because it seemed the most appropriate as for ingredients and quantities! Maybe it is a little bit too sweet for someone else, but you can reduce the amount of syrup and for the glaze you can use a mix of melted chocolate with whipped cream or butter instead of fondant (which is very sweet)
This recipe contains , , eggs, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, oil, , water, sugar, honey, rum, instant coffee, , butter, dark chocolate, powdered sugar, cocoa (sweet), , sugar, water, honey, cocoa (sweet), water, , dark chocolate, butter
Serves: 20 servings
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 1 hr
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 500 ml water (I wanted it very juicy)
- 10 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 270 gr butter
- 200 gr dark chocolate
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 250 g sugar
- 125 ml water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 tablespoons water (extra)
- Alternative glaze:
- 150 g dark chocolate
- 50 g butter (or 75 ml whipped cream)
- 1. For the crust, separate the eggs,beat egg whites with a pinch of salt, then add egg yolks one at a time, the oil, and then incorporate (with a whisk, from bottom up) the flour mixed with cocoa and baking powder
- 2. Line a tray with baking paper and bake about 20 minutes until toothpick test passes. If you want, you can use a large pan (the stove one,so you don’t have to cut the dough in two)
- 3. Syrup: we make it while we are baking the cake.
- 4. Put together sugar and water to a boil and let it dissolve well.
- 5. Add honey and let it boil for few more minutes (about 3 minutes).
- 6. Add the instant coffee the rum essence.
- 7. Let it cool thoroughly before you will soak the cake.
- 8. Cream:
- 9. Butter should be at room temperature and the chocolate should be melted on boiling water bath or in the microwave (I kept it about 1 minute 40 seconds, checking it from time to time).
- 10. Mix the butter with an electric mixer, then stir in the melted chocolate (cooled).
- 11. My advice is to taste the cream first and if you think that needs more sugar, add more for your taste. I’ve put 3 tablespoons powdered sugar.
- 12. Add the cocoa and mix well.
- 13. Leave it on the counter top until you will cut the cake ( do not refrigerate ,it will set very hard and you wont be able to spread it on the cake :-) )
- 14. Cut dough in two sheets and soak it with the syrup in abundance.
- 15. First assemble cake, a piece of cake underneath, cream, and then refrigerate it until you make the fondant. (keep 3 tablespoons of cream for garnish)
- 16. Meanwhile prepare the fondant (glaze).
- 17. In a double bottom saucepan, put water and sugar and let it approx. 15 minutes.
- 18. You must have a glass of cold water, beside you. From time to time (after about 10 min.) drip a little bit of syrup into the cold water, if it forms a hard drop like a pearl, then the the fondant is ready, let it simmer more if needed.
- 19. When the pearl test passed, turn off the heat and add honey.
- 20. Fill a saucepan with cold water to cool the fondant, or put cold water in the sink to cool it down.
- 21. Mix with a spoon until the fondant starts to thicken (becomes viscous), and white.
- 22. When becomes like that, add the cocoa and mix well.
- 23. My fondant has hardened a bit too much, so if this thing happens to you, add in 2 tablespoons of water and stir well.
- 24. Cut the cake into squares and pour 1 – 2 teaspoons of fondant over each piece.
- 25. let the fondant to harden (possibly after 10 minutes refrigeration ) then ornate the cake on the top with the remaining cream filling. (each square)
- 26. Keep it in the fridge and when you want to serve, remove the cake from the fridge at least 20 minutes before, to be at room temperature.
- 27. Bon appetite! it is worth trying this awesome chocolate cake, is incredibly good!