Amazing Pumpkin Sauce
An extremely delicious pumpkin sauce with Parmesan and saffron for gnocchi or pasta
This recipe contains pumpkin, onions, garlic, parsley, olive oil, butter, saffron threads, vegetable stock, milk, juice (orange), cheese (parmesan), salt, gnocchi, cheese (parmesan, shredded), black pepper
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 20 min
- 1 lb. Hokkaido pumpkin, about 500 g/ 1 pound
- 1 medium onion
- 2 clove(s) garlic cloves
- 1 small bunch of parsley
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 pn. saffron threads
- 230 cup(s) ml/ 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 150 cup(s) ml/ 2/3 cup condensed milk 4% fat (of course unsweetened) or full-fat milk
- 3 tbsp. freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- gnocchi or pasta to serve
- more Parmesan to serve
- black pepper
- 1. Wash the Hokkaido pumpkin, you don't have to peel it.
- 2. Remove the seeds and cut the flesh into small cubes.
- 3. Finely chop the onion and the garlic cloves.
- 4. Chop the parsley as well.
- 5. Heat the butter and the olive oil in a large pan.
- 6. When the fat is hot, add the saffron threads and leave for a few seconds.
- 7. Add the onion, garlic and pumpkin, stir well and cook until the onions are translucent and the pumpkin glazed.
- 8. Add half of the parsley and stir.
- 9. Slowly pour in the stock and the condensed milk and cook on high heat and uncovered until the sauce thickens.
- 10. Blend the sauce.
- 11. Add the orange juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- 12. If the sauce is too thick, add a few extra tablespoons of orange juice, milk or stock to taste.
- 13. Stir in the rest of the parsley and the grated Parmesan.
- 14. Serve with gnocchi or pasta and more grated Parmesan on top.