Briochettes with toasted coconut
Buttery bundles of brioche topped with honey and toasted coconut.
This recipe contains flour (all-purpose), salt, sugar (quick dissolve), yeast (instant), milk, eggs, vanilla extract, butter, coconut flakes, honey
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 20 min
- 300 g. strong white flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. caster sugar
- 7 g. fast-acting yeast
- 5 warm milk
- 5 eggs + 2 yolks
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 120 g. butter, at room temperature plus more for greasing and topping
- Dessicated coconut
- 3 tbsp. honey
- 1. In a large bowl sieve the flour, add salt, sugar and the yeast. Beat the eggs and yolks slightly and separate 3 tablespoons to brush the briochettes at the end.
- 2. To the beat eggs add the warm milk and vanilla extract. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture and add the egg mixture incorporating both dry and wet ingredients slowly.
- 3. Knead this dough for 2-3 minutes. Now for the tough bit: start adding the butter cube by cube, working each cube well into the dough before adding the next one.
- 4. Knead until elastic and shiny, it will still feel really soft. Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover, take it to the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- 5. Preheat the oven to 180 Celsius and grease a muffin tray.
- 6. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 5-6 minutes, divide it into 12 pieces and roll it into a long piece.
- 7. Divide this piece into three parts and braid it, tucking the ends and the bottom. Place briochettes in the tray and cover.
- 8. Prove it in a warm place (25 Celsius is optimal) for 20 minutes or until they have doubled in size.
- 9. Brush the top of the briochettes with the beaten egg and bake for 18-20 minutes or until they've turned golden.
- 10. Set aside on a cooling rack while you prepare the topping.
- 11. Add a handful of desiccated coconut onto a hot frying pan, stirring until they are golden brown and set aside.
- 12. In a separate bowl melt around 25 grams of butter and mix it with the honey.
- 13. Brush this on top of the briochettes and finally sprinkle the coconut.