Broccoli salad with crisp bacon bits
Crunchy, delicious broccoli salad topped with crispy bacon bits.
This recipe contains broccoli, bacon, olive oil, tomatoes (sun dried), , garlic, mustard (dijon), olive oil, white wine vinegar, sea salt, black pepper
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 10 min
- 2 heads of broccoli (about 700 g, cleaned)
- 120 g. bacon or pancetta, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 80 - 100 g. dried tomatoes in oil, drained and cut into small pieces
- Salad dressing:
- 1 clove(s) garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1. Remove the broccoli florets and cut them up into smaller ones. Finely slice the green stalks, discard the thick dry base.
- 2. Blanch the broccoli florets in boiling water for 1-2 minutes, long enough to soften the broccoli but still leave it al dente OR in very little water in a microwave oven for 2-4 minutes on MAX (check after 2 minutes for crispness).
- 3. Drain it in a colander and leave to dry or wrap in a paper towel to dry (this is important because it will help the dressing cling to the broccoli).
- 4. Fry the bacon in olive oil on a medium heat until until crisp and golden.
- 5. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon onto the paper towel, wrap and crumble it by gentle pressure. Use the leftover fat in the pan for the salad dressing(about 2 tablespoons).
- 6. Whisk all the dressing ingredients with and 2 tablespoons of the leftover fat in a mixing bowl.
- 7. Add the sliced dry tomatoes.
- 8. Place the broccoli in a salad bowl, add the dressing, sprinkle with crushed crispy bacon, season with salt and pepper.
- 9. Toss thoroughly so the broccoli is evenly covered with the dressing.
- 10. Serve on its own or with grilled or roasted meat or fish.