Broccoli Soup with Cheddar Cheese
As the weather gets cooler, there is no better time for comfort food, such as this calcium-rich Broccoli Soup with Cheddar Cheese.
This recipe contains broccoli, onions, potatoes, garlic, chicken broth, oranges, thyme, black pepper, crushed red pepper, milk, salt, cheddar cheese
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 25 min
- 1 1/2 lb bunch of broccoli
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups (500 mL) chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated orange rind
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- Dried red pepper flakes
- 2 cups (500 mL) milk
- Salt, to taste
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1. Peel and chop broccoli stems; coarsely chop florets to make at least 6 cups (1.5 L) total.
- 2. In saucepan, combine broccoli stems, onion, potatoes, garlic, broth, orange rind, thyme, pepper and red pepper flakes; bring to boil.
- 3. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 min. Add florets; simmer, covered, for 5 min or until vegetables are softened.
- 4. In blender or food processor, purée soup, in batches, with milk until smooth. Return to pan and heat through but do not boil. Add more milk if too thick.
- 5. Season with salt. Spoon into bowls; sprinkle with Cheddar cheese.
- 6. For more information and recipes, go to Getenough.ca.