Brownie Cake gluten free, dairy free
Adapted from Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa, Back to Basics Cookbook
Rich chocolate creamy pudding oozes out the center with a brownie-like cake on top for one decadent dessert. This gluten free, dairy free recipe is so easy, yet is so impressive as an entertaining dessert! I served it with Cappuccino Swirl Ice Cream. Part pudding, part brownie cake - fully satisfies the sweet tooth!
This recipe contains butter (vegan), eggs, sugar, chocolate (dark), vanilla paste, espresso (ground), cocoa powder, oil (coconut), , flour (brown rice), flour (rice), tapioca starch
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 1 hr
- 7 oz. vegan butter
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cup(s) cane sugar
- 1/2 cup(s) 72% dark chocolate chopped
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla paste (I use Nielsen Massey)
- 1 tsp. espresso powder (Medaglia D'Oro)
- 3/4 cup Cocoa Powder
- Coconut oil for greasing the baking dish
- For the gluten free flour blend
- 2 tbsp. Brown Rice Flour
- 2 tbsp. White Rice Flour
- 2 tbsp. Tapioca Starch
- 1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- 2. Lightly spread coconut oil in an oval baking dish (9x12x2 inch deep).
- 3. Measure out the flour and cocoa powder and sift into a bowl, set aside.
- 4. In the bowl of an electric mixer, (or using a hand mixer) with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs and sugar on medium-high for about 5 minutes, until it looks very thick and pale yellow - like a cake batter.
- 5. When the egg and sugar mixture looks ready, lower the speed to low, add the vanilla and espresso powder.
- 6. Slowly add the flour and cocoa powder mixture (I like to put a dish towel over the mixture so I don’t have cocoa dust everywhere). Mix just until combined.
- 7. Add the vegan butter and mix for another 10 seconds until combined.
- 8. Pour the brownie mixture into the greased dish.
- 9. Place dish into an even bigger roasting pan, then slowly add very hot tap water (you do not want any water to splatter into the brownie dish) around the roasting pan filling it about halfway up the side of brownie dish.
- 10. Bake for 65 minutes exactly.
- 11. Allow it to cool for 20 minutes before serving. It will appear like a cake on the outside with a pudding like texture inside. Serve warm.