Brussel Sprouts in Bacon and Garlic Sauce
I grew up hating to eat brussel sprouts.But we explored this vegetable when we lived in South Africa and I discovered that this is a fantastic way to cook it. My family and I love this dish and it’s a staple dish at home now.The leaves are kept vibrant and green, and the fragrant bacon and garlic makes even the most bitter little balls taste wonderful. The best part of all – it takes only 10 mins to put it together.For a step by step tutorial, go to - http://www.storyofbing.com/2012/07/eat-your-brussel-sprouts/
This recipe contains brussel sprouts, salt, water, butter, garlic (fresh), bacon bits, black pepper, lemon juice, salt
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 10 min
- 250 g. whole brussel sprouts
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 cups water
- 1 tbsp. salted butter
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. bacon bits
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1. Wash 250g of brussel sprouts. Remove any old hard out leaves.
- 2. Bring 4 cups of water to the boil and add 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- 3. Add the brussel sprouts to the boiling water and leave to boil at medium heat for 4 minutes or until sprouts are tender but still crunchy.
- 4. Drain the brussel sprouts.
- 5. Return the saucepan to the hot stove and add 1 tablespoon of butter.
- 6. While the butter is melting, cut the brussel sprouts in half.
- 7. Add 1 tablespoon of minced garlic to the melted butter. Sauté for a few seconds till garlic is fragrant but not brown.
- 8. Return the cut brussel sprouts to the saucepan. Toss the brussel sprouts lightly in the garlic-butter sauce.
- 9. Add 1 tablespoon of bacon bits. I keep a jar of ready to use bacon bits in the fridge at all times for this dish (and for my Mushroom Delight dish). You can also use freshly pan fried and crumbled bacon, but I like to cook this fast.
- 10. Season to taste with salt and pepper. I always use Masterfoods’ Garlic Pepper to season my dishes. A few shakes of this and it’s done.
- 11. Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice (about 1 teaspoon).
- 12. Toss everything together. Serve with some fresh lemons on the side for extra tangy flavour, if preferred. You can also garnish with some toasted almond flakes.