Bulgur Salad a Traditional Turkish Kisir Recipe
Traditional Turkish Kisir is a bulgur salad served during ladies days where they served food and tea. This traditional Turkish Kisir is perfect for lunch or a light meal.
This recipe contains , bulgur, water, tomato paste, pepper paste, olive oil, onions, parsley, cucumbers, bell peppers (green), onions (green/spring), pomegranate molasses, lemons, crushed red pepper, black pepper, mint (dried), cumin, lettuce
Prep time: 25 min
- Ingredients for Turkish Kisir
- 1 cup of fne bulgur
- 1 cup of hot water
- 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tbsp pepper paste (hot or sweet)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley
- 1 cucumber
- 2 green peppers
- 1 bunch of spring onions
- 2 tbsp pomegranate syrup
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp mint flakes
- 1 tsp cumin
- lettuce leaves (optional)
- 1. Recipe for Turkish Kisir
- 2. Take a large bowl and mix your hot water, tomato paste and pepper paste together.
- 3. Now add in your bulgur and 1 tsp of salt. Stir your water mix, bulgur and salt together once (you don’t want to stir to much) and then cover the mix with a kitchen towel and leave to soak up the water for about 10 minutes.
- 4. Cut your onion into wafer thin half moon shapes, sprinkle some salt over the sliced onion and then rinse and remove any excess water.
- 5. Remove the cover from your bulgur and fluff it up with a fork.
- 6. Then add in your pepper flakes, ground cumin, mint, oil and pomegranate molasses (if you don’t have it leave it out), lemon juice and your sliced onions.
- 7. Finely chop the peppers, spring onions, cucumber and parsley and mix through the bulgur.
- 8. Traditionally Turkish Kisir is eaten with lettuce leaves, you can serve it on a lettuce leaf or leave at the side and then wrap some Kisir inside the lettuce leaves and eat. You can also serve some tomatoes alongside.
- 9. Turkish Kisir is also nice served with a refreshing glass of Ayran.