Butternut Squash and Zucchini Lasagna-Gluten free, Vegan
I created a twist on the traditional lasagna for a family member who is allergic to tomato, that became THE lasagna recipe at our house. This gluten free and vegan recipe highlights the wonderful seasonal flavors of fall, satisfying even the carnivores of the family. It is cheesy, hearty, and satisfying - all in a one-dish meal. A wonderful option for a meatless dinner. Can be prepared in advance and bake just before serving.
This recipe contains butternut squash, zucchini, lasagna (rice, organic), cheese (cheddar, shredded), cheese (cheddar), sage (fresh), coconut spread, flour (brown rice), milk (coconut), milk (almond), salt (kosher), black pepper, thyme, cinnamon, nutmeg, sage (ground), cayenne pepper, arrowroot, water, olive oil
6 - 8 Servings
Prep time: 25 min
Cook time: 1 hr 40 min
- 1 whole medium butternut squash, peeled, thinly sliced
- 4 whole medium zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 1/2 pkg(s) Organic Rice Lasagna sheets
- 1/2 cup(s) Daiya Cheddar Style Shredded
- 3 tbsp. Daiya Cheddar Style Wedge
- 20 sage leaves
- 4 tbsp. Earth Balance Coconut Spread
- 2 tbsp. brown rice flour
- 2 cup(s) coconut milk
- 1/2 cup(s) unflavored almond milk
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt + additional pinch of kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. crushed black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. ground sage
- 1/4 tsp. ground cayenne
- 1 1/2 tbsp. arrowroot
- 1 tablespoon water
- olive oil
- 1. Casserole dish (12x9 inches)
- 2. Preheat Oven to 400 degrees F
- 3. In a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, add sliced zucchini, and sliced butternut squash.
- 4. Sprinkle pinch of salt and thyme evenly over vegetables, drizzle with olive oil.
- 5. Coat vegetables with hands for even coating of oil and seasoning.
- 6. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
- 7. When done, remove from oven and reduce heat to 350 degrees F.
- 8. Meanwhile for the sauce, combine water and arrowroot in a small bowl, set aside.
- 9. In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, add coconut spread, when it melts add brown rice flour, whisk until smooth.
- 10. Lower heat to medium. Add coconut milk, almond milk, all seasonings, whisk until smooth.
- 11. When you begin to see bubbles form quickly whisk in the arrowroot mixture.
- 12. Continue to whisk for a minute until mixture has thickened to the consistency of a cream sauce.
- 13. Set aside.
- 14. To Cook Lasagna Sheets:
- 15. In a large 8 quart shallow pot on medium high heat, boil the water, add a few tablespoons of salt, or to taste, then gently put lasagna sheets in, do not push down.
- 16. As they begin to soften they will drop down into the boiling water.
- 17. Stir occasionally to separate sheets.
- 18. Drain, set aside for assembling.
- 19. Save the prettier pieces for the top layer, as lasagna tends to get stick, pieces may break but it will still be delicious.
- 20. It may seem like a lot of salt in the water, however, pasta water should taste like the ocean for the pasta to absorb flavor.
- 21. To assemble the Lasagna:
- 22. First layer, add a third of the “cream” sauce to the casserole dish, about 8 sage leaves then 2 layers of lasagna pasta.
- 23. Second layer, add slices of zucchini to fill pan, 1/4 cup of cheddar style shredded cheese, 5 sage leaves.
- 24. Third layer, add one row of lasagna pasta, slices of butternut squash, 1/4 cup cheddar style shredded cheese, about 8 sage leaves.
- 25. Top layer, add remaining “cream” sauce, 2 layers lasagna pasta, crumble cheddar cheese wedge directly over the top and place 4 sage leaves; if the sage leaves do not lay flat wet the back and it will adhere to the pasta.
- 26. Place the casserole dish on a baking sheet pan (in case it drips over).
- 27. Bake for 70 minutes.
- 28. Let it cool for 10 minutes.
- 29. Serve hot.