Butternut Squash Casserole
Vitamin and mineral rich main or side dish.
This recipe contains butternut squash, olive oil, onions, salt, garlic, eggs, sour cream, cheese (parmesan), basil (fresh), black pepper, shredded mozzarella cheese
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 2 1/2 lb. butternut squash
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 whole small onions, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 6 clove(s) garlic, crushed
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup(s) sour cream
- 4 oz. parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup(s) fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 4 oz. mozzarella cheese, coarsely shredded
- 1. Prepare the butternut squash by removing the skin, stalk and seeds (remains 2 lb. of clean squash).
- 2. Cut it into small cubes. (You can cut it a food processor with the pommes frites cutter and then just pulse it one or two times with a regular knife).
- 3. Briefly sauté onions in olive oil until wilted.
- 4. Add the squash, stir and season with salt.
- 5. Add garlic, stir. Simmer for 10 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally. Add 1-2 tablespoons of water if necessary.
- 6. In the meantime, lightly whisk the eggs.
- 7. Stir in sour cream, cheese, basil and pepper.
- 8. Add egg mixture to the squash, stir until well combined.
- 9. Transfer the mixture into an ovenproof dish and cover with pieces of mozzarella.
- 10. Bake the casserole in oven at 425 for 30 minutes.
- 11. Serve as a side dish or a light meal.