Butternut Squash Quinoa Burgers
Celebrate the winter season with these "Orange" veggie burgers made with butternut squash. If you’re like me you’re looking for a few new ways to use up some butternut squash this time of year!
This recipe contains squash (butternut), quinoa, cheese (feta), eggs, walnuts, cumin (ground), red pepper (ground), cinnamon (ground), turmeric, salt (sea), black pepper, oil (coconut), lemons, rolls (whole wheat), mixed greens
Prep time: < 5 min
Cook time: 20 min
- 1/2 cup(s) butternut squash, cooked
- 1/4 cup(s) quinoa, dry
- 5 oz. feta, crumbled
- 1 organic egg
- 2 tbsp. walnuts, chopped
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground red pepper
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil or organic butter
- 1 fresh lemon
- 4 whole wheat rolls (optional)
- 2 cup(s) mixed baby greens
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring 1/2 cup water to a boil. Add quinoa, cover, and reduce heat to low.
- 2. Cook until liquid is absorbed, ~ 3-5 minutes. Set aside.
- 3. In a food processor, pulse butternut squash, 2 oz. feta, 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin, red pepper, cinnamon, turmeric, sea salt and pepper until just combined. Fold in the quinoa, the walnuts and the egg.
- 4. Form mixture into four patties. In a large skillet, with a splash of coconut oil or organic butter cook burgers on medium heat until cooked through and crispy on the outside, 8-10 minutes per side.
- 5. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine remaining feta, 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest, lemon juice from half a lemon, and dash of cumin (~1/2 teaspoon). Season with salt and pepper. Serve burgers on a whole wheat roll topped with a few baby greens and creamy feta sauce.