Camembert Cabbage Slices au Gratin
Cabbage slices topped with Camembert, apples and walnuts. A vegetarian dish, filling and satisfying, perfect for the chilly, long evenings ahead
This recipe contains cabbage, olive oil, apples, apple vinegar, brie cheese, walnuts, rosemary, paprika (smoked), maple syrup
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 15 min
- 1 small cabbage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 crisp apple
- 1 teaspoon apple vinegar
- 250 g/ about 9 oz Camembert
- 1 handful walnuts
- dried rosemary
- some smoked paprika
- about 4 teaspoons maple syrup to serve
- 1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius/ 390 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut 4 thick slices (about 2 cm/ 0.8 inch thick) from the middle of the cabbage without removing the stem, which will help to keep the cabbage slices in one piece.
- 2. Pour the 2 tablespoons oil into a small bowl. Brush the cabbage slices with some of the olive oil and sprinkle them generously with salt and pepper on both sides.
- 3. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake for about 20 or 30 minutes, turning once, or until golden brown and beginning to soften. If the cabbage is not soft enough for you, you can bake it a bit longer, but keep an eye on it, the outer leaves should not get too dark.
- 4. In the meantime remove the apple core and slice the apple thinly. Add the vinegar to the bowl with the remaining oil, mix well and brush the apple slices with this mixture on both sides. Place the apples on the cabbage slices and bake for further 5 minutes.
- 5. In the meantime slice the Camembert into thick slices and roughly chop the walnuts.
- 6. Divide the Camembert and the walnuts between the cabbage slices, sprinkle everything with savory and smoked paprika. Place in the oven for another 5 minutes or until the Camembert starts to melt.
- 7. Pour about 1 teaspoon of maple syrup on top of each cabbage slice and serve immediately.