Sweet and spicy candied ginger. Great for a Christmas gift or a remedy to keep colds at bay.
This recipe contains ginger, sugar, water
1 cup servings
Prep time: < 5 min
Cook time: 1 hr 30 min
- 3 cups fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into thin discs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Place ginger in the pot and simmer for 10 minutes. Discard the water (or reserve it for a hot toddy) and rinse ginger under cool water.
- 2. Place two cups of water and two cups of sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil to dissolve the sugar.
- 3. Add ginger to the sugar water and simmer on low heat for 1 - 1 1/2 hours. Remove from heat and strain.
- 4. Carefully move the ginger to a rack and sprinkle with sugar. Let them dry for 8-10 hours in a cool dry place, turning them halfway through.
- 5. Store in a sealed container.