Chicken Biryani with Hard Boiled Eggs
Biryani comes in many flavors, which include chicken, beef, lamb, vegetarian, and shrimp. It's a traditional Indian dish made using Basmati rice, meat (or only veggies) and various other exotic spices.
This recipe contains chicken, rice (basmati), eggs, onions, lime juice, yogurt, ginger (paste), chiles (green), garlic, cinnamon stick, cardamom, coriander (fresh), mint (fresh), salt, saffron, oil, chili powder, chili paste
Prep time: 1 hr +
Cook time: 1 hr
- 1 1/2 lb. chicken
- 4 cup(s) basmati rice
- 2 - 4 hard boiled eggs, halved
- 2 whole chopped onions
- 1/2 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 cup(s) plain yogurt
- 6 tbsp. ginger-garlic paste
- 6 green chillies
- 2 clove(s) garlic
- 2 whole cinnamon sticks
- 1 tbsp. cardamoms
- 3 whole coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp. ~ 10 mint leaves
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tbsp. saffron
- 2 cup(s) cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp. red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp. green chilli paste
- 1. Wash the chicken and cut it into small pieces. Marinate the chicken with ginger garlic paste and keep it aside for an hour. Some prefer a light touch of yogurt along with the ginger paste to be included while marinating the chicken. Some prefer to refrigerate the marinated chicken for 30 minutes.
- 2. Cut the onion into thin long pieces and fry it in 1 & 1/2 cups vegetable oil till they are golden brown.
- 3. Mix curd, ¾ part of fried onion, red chillier powder, green chillier paste, cinnamon, cardamom, clove, coriander leaves, mint leaves saffron water, salt and remaining part of oil. Add this mixture to the marinated meat and keep it aside for one hour.
- 4. Cook the basmati rice. When the rice is half cooked, stop cooking. Drain out the water completely. Spread the half cooked rice over marinated meat. The basic idea is to have layers of rice and marinated chicken.
- 5. Upon the rice layer spread lime juice, saffron color, and remaining part of onion.
- 6. Cover the cooker with lid tightly and cook on a very low flame for about an 45-60 minutes. Some prefer to cook it in an oven, but an even cooker does just fine.