Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese and chopped basil. Serve over pasta with rustic bread on the side.
This recipe contains chicken breasts, chicken thighs (bone-in) (skin-on), tomatoes (crushed), mushrooms, salt, pepper, olive oil, flour, onion, bell peppers (red), garlic, white wine dry, oregano (dried), cheese (parmesan), basil (fresh)
Prep time: < 5 min
Cook time: 1 hr 15 min
- 2 whole chicken breasts
- 2 lb. chicken thighs, bone in
- 1 can(s) oz. tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- 10 whole fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tsp. salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp. pepper, or to taste
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, plus more if needed
- 1/2 cup(s) flour
- 1 whole large onion, chopped
- 1 whole large red bell pepper, chopped
- 6 garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup(s) dry white wine
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- parmesan cheese,
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1. In a medium-sized bowl, mix salt, pepper and flour together.
- 2. Wash chicken and remove excess skin. Dredge in flour mixture and shake off excess.
- 3. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown on all sides.
- 4. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels.
- 5. To the same skillet, add the onion and garlic and stir until onion is soft, but not browned. Next, add red pepper and mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally until softened.
- 6. Add tomatoes, white wine and oregano and cook until alcohol has burned off; 3-5 minutes.
- 7. Return chicken to skillet, cover and simmer on low for one hour.