Chicken Chilaquiles With Salsa Verde
Chilaquiles is a typical Mexican breakfast of tortillas bathed in either a red or green tomatillo sauce. Chicken is often added, but it is delicious as well without. It's an excellent way to use up leftover tortillas and chicken!
This recipe contains chicken (cooked), tortillas (corn), chiles (serrano), tomatillos, garlic, onions (white), oil (canola), salt (sea), cilantro (fresh), sour cream, cheese (queso fresco)
Prep time: < 5 min
Cook time: 25 min
- 2 cup(s) cooked chicken meat (preferably breast), shredded
- 1/2 lb. corn tortilla chips (about 8 cups)
- 4 whole serrano or jalapeño chilies, sliced, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 1 lb. tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 1 - 2 clove(s) garlic
- 1/2 whole white onion, coarsely chopped, plus 2 thin white onion slices, separated into rings
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup(s) coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup(s) crema or sour cream
- 1/2 cup(s) crumbled queso fresco
- 1. Place the tomatillos in a small saucepan and add enough water to just cover them. Over medium heat, bring to a simmer and cook until the tomatillos begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Add the chiles and garlic and continue cooking until the tomatillos are soft, about 5 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- 3. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the tomatillos, chilies and garlic to a blender; reserve the cooking liquid. Add the chopped onion and 1/2 cup of the tomatillo cooking liquid to the blender and process until well blended, leaving some texture.
- 4. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm the oil until it is hot but not smoking. Pour in the tomatillo mixture all at once and stir vigorously.
- 5. Stir in an additional 1/2 cup of the reserved cooking liquid along with the 1/2 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat to low and cook, uncovered, until the sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. Add more liquid if necessary.
- 6. Just before serving, carefully stir the tortilla chips, cilantro and shredded chicken into the sauce and continue cooking until softened but not mushy, about 5 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasonings with salt if necessary.
- 7. Scoop the mixture into a warmed serving dish or onto warmed individual plates. To garnish, spoon on the crema and scatter the onion rings and cheese on top.
- 8. Serve with refried beans.