Torta Caprese is a traditional Italian cake from the beautiful Island of Capri.
This is a very tasty and special cake because made with almond meal and chocolate, so it may be eaten by people under a gluten free diet.
The texture is amazingly moist and rich with a delicate twist of Sorrento’s lemon.
This cake is also known as one of history’s most fortunate mistakes. In the 1920 an Italian baker was preparing an almond cake for three American gangsters in the Island of Capri. He forgot to put the flour into the dough, but the result was a delicious cake.
This recipe contains almond meal, chocolate (dark), sugar, unsalted butter, eggs, vanilla extract, limoncello, sugar (powdered, confectioners)
6 - 8 Servings
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 40 min
- 11 oz. almond meal
- 10 oz. dark chocolate
- 7 oz. granulated sugar
- 2 unsalted butter, softened
- 5 eggs
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 shot of Limoncello
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- 1. Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
- 2. Grease with butter and flour or baking spray a 9 inch cake pan, set aside.
- 3. With a hand or stand mixer beat the butter and half of the sugar until creamy.
- 4. Add the egg yolks (one at the time) until well incorporated.
- 5. Melt the chocolate at Bain Marie, then let cool until room temperature. Fold into the butter mixture.
- 6. Add the vanilla extract, the Limoncello and then the almond meal.
- 7. In a separate bowl whip the egg whites with the remain sugar until they reach stiff peaks.
- 8. Fold little by little the whipped white eggs into the mixture.
- 9. Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake for 45 minutes.
- 10. Let the cake cool completely in the pan, then dust with confectioners’ sugar.