Caramel Apple Pie Cupcakes
The most amazing combination of applie pie and caramel cupcake! First you bake the crust in the bottom of the cupcake liners, add a little apple pie filling & top off with caramel cupcake, bake then add cream cheese frosting. HEAVEN!!
This recipe contains pie crust, pie filling (apple), butter (unsalted), sugar, salt (kosher), syrup, eggs, applesauce, vanilla extract, flour (all-purpose), baking powder, milk, , sugar, water, water, , butter, cream cheese, syrup, vanilla extract, sugar (powdered, confectioners)
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 1 hr
- 2 boxes refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
- 1 can(s) oz. apple pie filing, lightly chopped
- 1/2 cup(s) + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup(s) sugar
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/3 cup(s) caramel syrup (recipe below)
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup(s) apple sauce
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup(s) milk, at room temperature
- For the Caramel Syrup:
- 2 cup(s) sugar
- 1/2 cup(s) water
- 1 cup(s) water (to"stop" the caramelization process)
- For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 12 oz. cream cheese
- 1/2 cup(s) Caramel Syrup (room temp)
- 4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup(s) confectioners sugar
- 1. To make the Caramel Syrup - In a small saucepan, mix together water and sugar. Brush down any stray sugar crystals from the sides of the pot.
- 2. Turn on heat to highest flame. Cook until smoking slightly, and the mixture has turned a dark amber.
- 3. When color is achieved, very carefully pour in one cup of water. This will cause a lot of smoke, spewing boiling sugar so be careful, wear long sleeves, make sure you have some space to jump back (it happens ).
- 4. Whisk over medium heat until it has reduced slightly.
- 5. To test if it’s done, get a little on a spoon, (let it cool down slightly – if not you will most definitely burn your fingers) if it feels sticky between your fingers you’re good to go. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature.
- 6. To make the Cupcakes – Heat oven to 450°F. Remove pie crusts from pouches and unroll on a work surface. Cut 2 1/4-inch rounds from each crust (about 8 per crust).
- 7. Place liners in your muffin tin and firmly press 1 round in bottom and up the sides of each of liner. Bake for 5 minutes.
- 8. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Divide apple pie filling evenly among pastry-lined muffin cups.
- 9. In the bowl of a stand mixer cream the butter until smooth. Add sugar and salt & cream until light and fluffy.
- 10. Slowly pour room temperature caramel syrup into the bowl.
- 11. Once thoroughly combined increase speed. Add the egg, apple sauce & vanilla extract one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Scrape down the bowl and beat the mixture until uniform.
- 12. In a separate bowl combine the flour and baking powder. Turn the mixer to its lowest speed, add 1/3 of the dry ingredients.
- 13. Once that is incorporated, slowly add 1/2 of the milk.
- 14. Add another 1/3 of the dry ingredients, then the rest of the milk and finish it off with the last of the dry ingredients. Remove from the mixing stand and finish combining with a spatula until uniform.
- 15. Spoon the batter over the apple pie filling.
- 16. Place in the oven for 30 minutes, rotate and let cook another 15-20. (This may vary for different ovens – mine is minuscule and electric.)
- 17. Bake until a tooth pick in the middle comes out fairly clean, you may have a couple crumbs due to the sticky apple pie filling (the tops of the cupcakes will begin to brown slightly).
- 18. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes then remove from the pan and let cool completely on a rack before icing.
- 19. To make the icing: Cream butter, cream cheese, Caramel Syrup and vanilla until light and fluffy. Slowly add the confectioners sugar, beat until well combined & fluffy.
- 20. Ice cupcakes with pastry bag & desired tip. Drizzle with leftover Caramel Syrup. Enjoy!