Caramel Apple Pie Cupcakes
The most amazing combination of applie pie and caramel cupcake! First you bake the crust in the bottom of the cupcake liners, add a little apple pie filling & top off with caramel cupcake, bake then add cream cheese frosting. HEAVEN!!
This recipe contains pie crust, pie filling (apple), unsalted butter, sugar, salt (kosher), , eggs, applesauce, vanilla extract, all-purpose flour, baking powder, milk, , sugar, water, water, , butter, cream cheese, , vanilla extract, powdered sugar
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 1 hr
- 2 boxes refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
- 1 can apple pie filing, lightly chopped
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup caramel syrup (recipe below)
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk, at room temperature
- For the Caramel Syrup:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup water (to"stop" the caramelization process)
- For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 12 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup Caramel Syrup (room temp)
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup confectioners sugar
- 1. To make the Caramel Syrup - In a small saucepan, mix together water and sugar. Brush down any stray sugar crystals from the sides of the pot.
- 2. Turn on heat to highest flame. Cook until smoking slightly, and the mixture has turned a dark amber.
- 3. When color is achieved, very carefully pour in one cup of water. This will cause a lot of smoke, spewing boiling sugar so be careful, wear long sleeves, make sure you have some space to jump back (it happens ).
- 4. Whisk over medium heat until it has reduced slightly.
- 5. To test if it’s done, get a little on a spoon, (let it cool down slightly – if not you will most definitely burn your fingers) if it feels sticky between your fingers you’re good to go. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature.
- 6. To make the Cupcakes – Heat oven to 450°F. Remove pie crusts from pouches and unroll on a work surface. Cut 2 1/4-inch rounds from each crust (about 8 per crust).
- 7. Place liners in your muffin tin and firmly press 1 round in bottom and up the sides of each of liner. Bake for 5 minutes.
- 8. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Divide apple pie filling evenly among pastry-lined muffin cups.
- 9. In the bowl of a stand mixer cream the butter until smooth. Add sugar and salt & cream until light and fluffy.
- 10. Slowly pour room temperature caramel syrup into the bowl.
- 11. Once thoroughly combined increase speed. Add the egg, apple sauce & vanilla extract one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Scrape down the bowl and beat the mixture until uniform.
- 12. In a separate bowl combine the flour and baking powder. Turn the mixer to its lowest speed, add 1/3 of the dry ingredients.
- 13. Once that is incorporated, slowly add 1/2 of the milk.
- 14. Add another 1/3 of the dry ingredients, then the rest of the milk and finish it off with the last of the dry ingredients. Remove from the mixing stand and finish combining with a spatula until uniform.
- 15. Spoon the batter over the apple pie filling.
- 16. Place in the oven for 30 minutes, rotate and let cook another 15-20. (This may vary for different ovens – mine is minuscule and electric.)
- 17. Bake until a tooth pick in the middle comes out fairly clean, you may have a couple crumbs due to the sticky apple pie filling (the tops of the cupcakes will begin to brown slightly).
- 18. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes then remove from the pan and let cool completely on a rack before icing.
- 19. To make the icing: Cream butter, cream cheese, Caramel Syrup and vanilla until light and fluffy. Slowly add the confectioners sugar, beat until well combined & fluffy.
- 20. Ice cupcakes with pastry bag & desired tip. Drizzle with leftover Caramel Syrup. Enjoy!