Cauliflower cheese - so delicious
This recipe contains cauliflower, butter, flour (all-purpose), mustard powder, salt, cayenne pepper, milk, cheese (cheddar, sharp, shredded), black pepper
Prep time: < 5 min
Cook time: 50 min
- 2 lb. medium head cauliflower
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 4 tbsp. all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. mustard powder
- 2 - 3 ds. salt
- 1 pn. cayenne pepper
- 2 cup(s) whole milk
- 6 oz. grated cheddar cheese (very sharp-reserve 2 tbsp)
- 2 - 3 ds. black pepper, to taste
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2. Trim cauliflower florets from the stalk. Discard stalk. Cut florets into 1-2 inch pieces. Steam the cauliflower for about 10 minutes until firm but tender.
- 3. Spread the florets out onto a paper towel to dry while making the cheese sauce.
- 4. In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter over medium high heat, add the flour and whisk to combine. Cook for about 1-2 minutes to get rid of the flour taste.
- 5. Add the mustard powder, pinch of cayenne, black pepper and stir to combine.
- 6. Drizzle the milk in a steady stream, whisking the whole time so that the mixture stays creamy.
- 7. Season with salt and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.
- 8. When mixture thickens, add the cheese one handful at a time. Taste the sauce and adjust the salt/pepper as needed.
- 9. Spread the cauliflower florets into a 2 quart baking dish (or iron skillet), spoon the sauce over the top and sprinkle about 2 tbsp of cheese over the top. Bake until browned and bubbly – about 30 minutes. Garnish with fresh herbs if desired.