chocolate chip bread pudding
A delicious and creamy chocolate chip bread pudding! From contributor Sarah Uselton
This recipe contains heavy cream, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, chocolate (semi-sweet, chips), baguette
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 1 hr
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 12 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- I 11.5 oz bag of semi sweet chocolate morsels
- 1 french baguette or french loaf bread
- 1. Heat the cream and 1 cup of sugar on the stove top in a sauce pan over medium heat until it comes to a simmer and the sugar is melted. Make sure to stir constantly.
- 2. In a separate bowl mix the egg yolks and the rest of the sugar. When the cream mixture has come to a simmer add the mixture to the egg yolks. BE SURE to temper the egg yolks – this means, add small amounts of the hot cream mixture a little at a time to the yolks so that the eggs will not cook and will be come a smooth liquid. You do not want cooked egg yellows in your bread pudding. Add the vanilla. Essentially you just made Crème Anglaise – you didn’t know you were so fancy, did you?
- 3. Cube the bread into inch cubes. In a bowl mix the bread and the cream. Add as much of the cream as you would like. For a dryer bread pudding add less and vice versa. Mix in the chocolate and put in a baking pan and bake for 40 mins covered and then for 10-15 mins uncovered at 350.