Croque-Madame with Asparagus
A decadent French sandwich with ham, asparagus and Gruyere cheese. Topped with bechamel and more cheese and broiled to golden brown perfection then crowned with a fried egg.
This recipe contains asparagus, olive oil, salt, butter (unsalted), flour (all-purpose), milk, nutmeg, cheese (gruyere), cheese (parmesan), bread, mustard (dijon), deli ham (black forest), eggs, black pepper
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 25 min
- 1 lb. bundle of asparagus, tough ends snapped off
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp. flour
- 1 cup(s) hot milk
- fresh nutmeg
- 8 oz. Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 oz. slices of good quality white bread, crusts trimmed
- Dijon mustard
- 4 slice(s) slices of Black Forest ham
- 4 eggs, poached or fried
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees f. On a large baking sheet, toss asparagus with a little olive oil, salt & pepper. Roast until just tender, about 10 minutes, shaking the pan once or twice to redistribute the asparagus. Remove from oven and set aside.
- 2. Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat, whisk in the flour, cook and stir for about 2 minutes.
- 3. Slowly whisk in the milk, increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, simmer for about 2 minutes to thicken.
- 4. Remove from heat, add nutmeg, 1/8 t. salt, a bit of fresh ground black pepper, 1/4 c. shredded Gruyere and 1/4 c. Parmesan. Stir to combine, set aside.
- 5. On another baking sheet, place the bread slices. Bake for 5 minutes, flip bread and bake about another 4 minutes (keeping an eye on it), until the bread is lightly toasted.
- 6. Remove from oven. Spread 4 of the slices lightly with Dijon mustard, top with a layer of ham, a few asparagus spears and half the remaining Gruyere cheese. Top with the remaining toasted bread.
- 7. Slather the tops of the sandwiches with some of the bechamel sauce and top with the rest of the cheese.
- 8. Bake sandwiches for 5 minutes
- 9. Now broil until bubbly and golden, about another 3-5 minutes. Serve sandwiches topped with a poached or fried egg.