how to make and can cherry pie filling
This post tells how to make and can cherry pie filling
This recipe contains , cherries (fresh), sugar, flour (all-purpose), salt (kosher), juice (cherry), lemon juice, almond extract, , cherries (fresh), sugar, pectin (powdered), salt, juice (cherry), lemon juice, almond extract
4 quarts servings
Prep time: 25 min
Cook time: 20 min
- Ingredients for Filling for a single pie:
- 5 to 6 cups fresh pitted tart cherries (about 21/2 to 3 pounds)
- 1 to 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1/2 cup tart cherry juice (not from concentrate)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract (do not use imitation)
- Ingredients for canning recipe (makes 4 quarts)
- 10lbs sour pie cherries
- 4 Cups sugar
- 1 cup clear jel
- 4 pinches of salt
- 1 3/4 cups tart cherry juice
- 1/4 Cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 1. Instructions:
Wash and remove the stems from all cherries. Dry well. Prepare the canner, jars and lids (see the instructions for canning strawberry jam for these instructions)
- 2. In a large stainless steel sauce pan, whisk together the cherry juice, sugar, clear jello (or flour if making single pie) and salt. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring constantly, once boiling, continue boiling until thickened (it is hard to tell when it has thickened – but 2-3 minutes should do it). After thickened, add the lemon juice and the cherries all at once. (Once you add the cherries, you will think, how can it boil – I can’t even see the liquid – don’t worry – the cherries will cook down a little before it boils). Return to a boil and allow to boil for 1 minute stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and add the almond extract.
- 3. If you are only making one pie, allow this to cool and place in a container with a lid until you are ready to make the pie. It can be stored for 2-3 days in the fridge and may separate in the fridge – just heat a little and stir it well to reconstitute.
- 4. If canning: ladle the hot pie filling into your hot jars, leaving 1 inch of head space. Remove the air bubbles and adjust the headspace as needed. Wipe the jar rims. Center the lids and screw the bands down finger tight.
- 5. Place the jars in the canner and ensure they are completely covered by at least an inch of water. Bring to a boil and process both pint and quart jars for 35 minutes. Remove canner lid and wait 5 minutes then remove the jars and store in a cool draft free area for 24 hours.