Peas with Pancetta
Sweet peas have arrived! Peas & pancetta - one of my favorite dishes. I can't get enough, I don't know if it's the peas or the pancetta - is it the green veggie or the fatty pork that I love so?! Maybe I should just have another spoonful...
This recipe contains peas, pancetta, onions, garlic, cherry tomatoes, red wine vinegar, parsley, mint, pepper, salt, olive oil (extra virgin)
Prep time: < 5 min
Cook time: 20 min
- 12 oz. sweet peas, rinsed
- 4 oz. pancetta, bacon or guanciale, cured pig's cheek (omit if vegetarian)
- 1 whole small onion, sliced
- 1 - 2 garlic
- 2 - 3 whole cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup(s) parsley, chopped
- 1 ds. mint, chopped
- 1 pn. pepper
- 1 pn. salt
- 1 ds. extra virgin olive oil
- 1. Bring a medium pot up to boil. In the meantime, in a medium skillet on medium-low heat, slowly render down the pancetta for 4-5 minutes, trying not to brown it and not crispy. If it starts to brown remove the pan from the heat or lower the flame.
- 2. Next add garlic & onion, sauté for 5-6 minutes.
- 3. (Vegetarian Note: Just omit the the pancetta & sauté the onions & garlic in olive oil.)
- 4. When the onions & garlic are about 2 minutes from being ready, add the tomatoes.
- 5. At the same time toss the peas in the water and blanch for 2-3 minutes. You want them approximately half-cooked. Strain the peas and throw them directly into the pan with the pancetta adding a spoonful of the pea-water. Allow to cook until peas are cooked but still have a bite.
- 6. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt & pepper.
- 7. Just before you serve, toss in the herbs and drizzle with good extra virgin olive oil.