Green Bean Casserole from Scratch
Adapted from Eating Well
This recipe contains canola oil, onions, mushrooms, onion powder, salt, thyme, black pepper, all-purpose flour, milk (low fat), sherry dry, green beans, sour cream, paprika, garlic powder
serves 6 servings
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 25 min
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, half diced and other half thinly sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry (a fortified wine)
- 1 pound fresh green beans (about 4 cups), cut in half
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 2 1/2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- 2. Cook green beans in boiling salted water until crisp and tender.
- 3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add diced onion and cook until softened and translucent, about 4 minutes.
- 4. Stir in mushrooms, onion powder, 1 teaspoon salt, thyme and pepper. Cook another 3 to 5 minutes.
- 5. Sprinkle 1/3 cup flour over the vegetables; stir to coat. Add milk and sherry and bring to a simmer, stirring often to reduce flour lumps. Stir in green beans and return to a simmer. Cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute.
- 6. Stir in sour cream. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- 7. Whisk the remaining 1/3 cup flour, paprika, garlic powder and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a shallow dish. Add sliced onion; toss to coat. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- 8. Add the onion to oil and cook, turning once or twice, until golden and crispy, 4 to 5 minutes. Spread the onion topping over the casserole.
- 9. Bake the casserole until bubbling, about 15 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.