Green Bean Casserole from Scratch
A made from scratch Green Bean Casserole. Perfect for the holiday's!
Adapted from Eating Well
This recipe contains oil (canola), onions, mushrooms, onion powder, salt, thyme, black pepper, flour (all-purpose), milk (low fat), sherry dry, beans (green, fresh), sour cream, paprika, garlic powder
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 25 min
- 3 tbsp. canola oil, divided
- 1 whole medium onion, half diced and other half thinly sliced
- 8 oz. mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 2/3 cup(s) all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup(s) low-fat milk
- 3 tbsp. dry sherry (a fortified wine)
- 1 lb. fresh green beans (about 4 cups), cut in half
- 1/3 cup(s) sour cream
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 2 1/2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- 2. Cook green beans in boiling salted water until crisp and tender.
- 3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add diced onion and cook until softened and translucent, about 4 minutes.
- 4. Stir in mushrooms, onion powder, 1 teaspoon salt, thyme and pepper. Cook another 3 to 5 minutes.
- 5. Sprinkle 1/3 cup flour over the vegetables; stir to coat. Add milk and sherry and bring to a simmer, stirring often to reduce flour lumps. Stir in green beans and return to a simmer. Cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute.
- 6. Stir in sour cream. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- 7. Whisk the remaining 1/3 cup flour, paprika, garlic powder and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a shallow dish. Add sliced onion; toss to coat. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- 8. Add the onion to oil and cook, turning once or twice, until golden and crispy, 4 to 5 minutes. Spread the onion topping over the casserole.
- 9. Bake the casserole until bubbling, about 15 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.