Medenjaci - Croatian Honey Spice Cookies
Perfect, traditional Christmas cookies full of flavor. Not too sweet, easy to make and easy to store for a week or two.
This recipe contains butter, demerara sugar, honey, eggs, baking soda, ground cinnamon, cloves (ground), nutmeg, ginger (ground), flour (all-purpose), flour (whole wheat), flour (cake), walnuts
45 - 55 Servings
Prep time: 40 min
Cook time: 10 min
- 250 g. butter
- 180 g. Demerara sugar
- 250 g. honey
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. powdered ginger
- 300 g. all-purpose flour
- 100 g. whole wheat flour
- 350 g. cake flour (soft flour)
- 10 - 12 whole walnut kernels, divided into quarters
- 1. Heat the butter, sugar and honey, stirring constantly, over low heat until the sugar and butter have melted completely. Set aside to cool (10 minutes).
- 2. Lightly whisk the eggs.
- 3. Mix and combine baking soda, spices, all-purpose, whole wheat and cake flour.
- 4. Add the lightly beaten eggs, flour and spices to the melted honey, sugar and butter mixture. Mix and combine to obtain smooth and soft dough.
- 5. Cover the dough with foil and leave in a cool place for 1-3 days.
- 6. Then divide and roll the dough into long rolls 1.5 cm in diameter, cut them into smaller rolls. Shape each roll into a walnut sized ball.
- 7. Place the dough balls, few centimetres apart from each other, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicon sheet. Insert, only halfway, a quarter of the walnut kernel at the top of each cookie.
- 8. Bake the cookies in the oven at 190°C for 10-12 minutes. Cool and store in an airtight container.