Mediterranean-inspired Tuna Almond Whole-wheat Spaghetti
The best part about Mediterranean food is that the tastiest dishes are made from the simplest and most accessible food and staples. I’ve recently been back in the momentum of creatively cooking spontaneously – the only way is to have a fully (or almost) stocked kitchen. This is inspired by my trip to Mykonos and Sicily back in 2008 where I discovered the freshest ingredients and gigantic Sicilian lemons grown at your fingertips. Here is lemony, nutty and Mediterranean all in one dish :)
This recipe contains pasta (spaghetti, whole wheat), oil (chili), onions, fish (tuna), almonds, parsley (fresh), oil (lemon), crushed red pepper, cheese (parmesan), salt
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 10 min
- 4oz whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 tbsp chili oil
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 5oz can tuna (preferably in water)
- 10g almonds, sliced
- 1/2 roughly chopped Italian parsley & a tad more for garnish
- 1 tbsp lemon oil
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- a few shavings of New York cheddar or other hard cheese (i.e. gratings of parmesan)
- a pinch of salt
- 1. Start with a boiling pot of water for the spaghetti.
- 2. Heat up chilli oil in a pan over medium heat (click here for recipe for home made chilli and lemon oils) , then add the chopped onion. Cook until almost translucent.
- 3. Drain the can of tuna and add it to the pan until its thoroughly warmed through.
- 4. Add the chopped parsley and stir for 2 minutes. Add chilli flakes and a pinch of coarse salt to taste.
- 5. Take it off the heat. Drain the spaghetti and add it to the pan and toss with tongs.
- 6. Serve and sprinkle with sliced almonds, parsley and rough shavings of cheese. Drizzle with lemon oil.