Mac n Cheese-gluten free, dairy free, soy free, vegan
Who doesn’t love Mac and Cheese? My 5 boys (including hubby) sure do! My family was hesitant at first to try my experimental recipe, not after that first bite! I must tell you, the texture, the creaminess, the crunchy topping in this gluten free, dairy free recipe will have you craving more! Our vegan friends also love this recipe when I make it with vegan breadcrumbs, it's entirely vegan without it. A family favorite!
This recipe contains pasta (shell), Earth Balance Soy Free Spread, coconut milk, coconut creamer, cheese (cheddar, shredded), shredded mozzarella cheese, hamburger buns, bread (gluten-free), flour (millet), garlic powder, salt, cornstarch, water, cayenne pepper
Serves 6-8 servings
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 25 min
- 1 pound shell pasta (Quinoa & Corn combination)
- 4 tablespoons Earth Balance Soy Free Spread, plus extra for greasing casserole dish
- 2 cups So Delicious unflavored coconut milk (not cans)
- 1/2 cup coconut creamer (I like So Delicious Original flavor)
- 2 cups Daiya shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Daiya shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 Udi's hamburger bun, toasted or
- Vegan option: 2 slices vegan bread (I use Food for Life Rice bread)
- 1 tablespoon millet flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste plus a few tablespoons extra for pasta water
- 3 tablespoons organic cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1. Preheat Oven to 375 degrees F
- 2. Grease a 9x12 inch casserole dish
- 3. In a large stock pot with boiling water, add few tablespoons of kosher salt to the water.
- 4. Add pasta, stir frequently to prevent clumping.
- 5. In a mini food processor pulse the toasted hamburger bun until a breadcrumb consistency. Set aside.
- 6. For the Vegan option: Slice tortillas into 1 inch strips, bake at 350 degrees F on a parchment lined baking sheet for 12-15 minutes (or 10 minutes at 400 degrees F then reduce oven temperature for baking Mac and Cheese). Pulse in a food processor until a breadcrumb texture, set aside.
- 7. In a medium heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat, melt Earth Balance spread.
- 8. Add coconut milk, coconut creamer, salt, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and let it cook until it’s just about to boil, about 3 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- 9. Meanwhile, in a small glass bowl, mix cornstarch and millet flour with room temperature water.
- 10. Raise the heat to medium high, pour in the cornstarch mixture, and whisk vigorously for a few minutes until it thickens, about 3-5 minutes.
- 11. Once thickened, add both Daiya cheeses, stir to blend.
- 12. Drain the pasta once it’s reached al dente (cooked, yet firm), put the pasta back into the drained stockpot
- 13. Add the sauce and mix well.
- 14. Fill the greased casserole dish with the pasta mixture evenly, spread breadcrumbs evenly across the top.
- 15. Bake for 10 minutes. Serve hot.