Mambo Pork Rolls with Sweet Potatoes
On October 9th, 2012, Tropical Foods had its Flavors of the Fall Recipe Contest with the culinary students at the Charlotte Campus of Johnson & Wales University. This recipe, Mambo Pork Rolls with Sweet Potatoes, was created by Tokecia Davidson.
This recipe contains Mexicali Fire Snack Mix, pork (loin, chops, boneless), cumin (ground), chili powder, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper, sweet potatoes, heavy cream, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger (ground), maple syrup, cornbread mix, flour (all-purpose), eggs, water, milk, carrots, celery, chicken stock, fresh garlic, cheese (pecorino)
- 2 cup(s) Tropical Food's Mexicali Fire Snack Mix, crushed
- 1 lb. pork loin chops
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. pepper
- 2 whole sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup(s) heavy cream
- 1 tsp. butter
- 1/4 cup(s) brown sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ginger
- Maple syrup as needed
- 1 box cornbread mix
- 1 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp. water
- 1/3 cup(s) milk
- 1/2 cup(s) carrots, steamed and chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) celery, chopped
- 1 cup(s) chicken stock
- 1 clove(s) garlic
- 1/2 cup(s) pecorino romano cheese, shredded
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2. Butterfly pork loin and pound each piece into a rectangular shape. Set in fridge.
- 3. Dice sweet potatoes and boil until tender.
- 4. Combine cornbread mix, milk and 1 egg, bake in oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- 5. Steam carrots.
- 6. When cornbread is finished, break into crumbs and stir in chicken stock, 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. pepper, garlic, carrots, celery, cheese and half of Tropical Food’s Mexicali Fire®. While stuffing is baking, mash sweet potatoes.
- 7. Add butter and stir in cream, brown sugar, cinnamon, and ginger.
- 8. Take out pork loin and season with 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. pepper, chili powder, cumin, and cayenne.
- 9. Place spoonful of stuffing mixture in middle of pork loins and roll tightly like a burrito.
- 10. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and place in freezer for 10 minutes.
- 11. Take out pork loins and dip in flour, egg wash and roll into remaining Mexicali Fire®.
- 12. Roast pork rolls for 20-30 minutes, or until internal temperature is at 165 degrees.
- 13. Allow meat to rest for ten minutes before cutting.
- 14. Drizzle meat with maple syrup as desired and plate on top of sweet potatoes