Mini Calzone Bundles
My kids love just about anything they get to eat with their hands and they love dunking things! I am always trying to change things up for the kids because I feel like just like me and hubby, they get bored too. I figure most kids love bread and cheese and this combines the two to make adorable cheese filled bundles that the kiddos get to dunk into sauce. I use puff pastry here because it is so much easier for the kids to chew then tougher pizza dough. These are super easy to make and they are equally yummy for yourself!
This recipe contains puff pastry, ricotta cheese, cheese (mozzarella), tomato sauce
9 bundles servings
Prep time: 25 min
Cook time: 25 min
- 1 sheet puff pastry dough
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup tomato sauce (see below for a basic quick pizza sauce)
- 1. To make a quick cooking pizza sauce... In a pot, over medium low heat, add a couple drizzles of olive oil and a little bit of diced onion and garlic. Cook until softened. Add in a can of tomato puree, 2 tsp dried oregano and a little salt and pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- 2. For the bundles of goodness....
- 3. Preheat your oven to 385 degrees.
- 4. Mix together the ricotta and mozzarella in a small bowl.
- 5. Unfold the puff pastry and cut into 9 equal squares. Add a spoonful of the cheese mixture in the center of each square.
- 6. Bring the corners to the center as well as any ends poking out. You want to pinch together the dough to seal it as well as possible. The filling will leak out if you don't seal them. Place seam side down onto a lined baking sheet.
- 7. Bake for approx 25 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool slightly, the cheese filling will be hot for the kiddos.